Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Days Sixteen and Seventeen – Two days with “Change”

On Sunday I received a call from the Chamchamal (Suleymania Province) “Change” list office inviting me to spend a few days with them so that I could get a real feel for the “Change” list. Jumping at the chance I eagerly packed my overnight bags and come morning I was on my way to Chamchamal.

Yesterday I arrived at the Chamchamal base; I met all the staff and drank a glass of tea (with a finger width of sugar at the bottom) and after talking with the staff I realised that my invitation did have another agenda. The office was planning a major rally to make up for lost ground in week two and they wanted as much coverage as possible. From personal knowledge I knew that Chamchamal was a “Change” list strong hold and hence expected a great show. The rally was planned for Today, Tuesday 7th July (Day Seventeen).

Yesterday was preparations day and news that the famous Kurdish poet Farhad Sangawi and the Kurdish legendary Peshmerga Mam Rostam were attending had the staff buzzing. The office staff accompanied by some of the towns youth were busy getting “Change” flags, posters, shirts and hats ready for the rally.

Today, the rally kicked off at five in the afternoon. It was a scene that I honestly had not seen so far in Kurdistan. The volume of people was overwhelming and there chants reminded me of times I had attended football matches in the UK. Shooting pictures from the roof I watched as a flood of supporters carried Farhad Sanghawi through the crowd and into the base where I was. After him came Mam Rostam, who has been going town to town rallying support for the “Change” list. Speeches from the candidates were followed by poems from Mr Sanghawi which in turn was followed by another speech from Mam Rostam. With the crowd warmed up it was time for a live performance of the “Change” list anthem which had the supporters dancing and clapping.

The rally was a great success and I think it will act as a major boost for the "Change" list as we move into the final weeks of the campaigns. Let me leave this post with the pictures I took from the rally which I feel speak for themselves.


1 comment:

  1. There definately is a lot of support for Change list, but if they really want to make up any lost ground or to really get their campaign in full swing, then Nawshirwan Mustafa should leave his house and show his face among the people that are supporting him so much.

    Barham Salih is doing his PR and campaigning very well. He doesn't just send out monologue messages from TV and the internet. He is meeting with people and taking their questions. He's the head of Kurdistani list so he is doing the right thing to get in contact with the people.

    Why doesn't Nawshirwan leave his house and embrace his followers? He would get more support if he showed his face in public instead of sending people like Mam Rostam and Farhad Sangawi.

    ReplyDelete